This annual advanced probate and estate planning/trust seminar will emphasize new cases, recent developments, current legislative measures, the latest digital developments, drafting (with forms), litigation and ethics, including two hours of CLE ethics credits.
JUDGES POLK and LEMAIRE and COMMR. RUSSELL will contribute to the discussion throughout the day and will make a formal presentation after lunch, "View From the Bench." JEFF POLLITT, ESQ. will present Part Two of "What the Probate Bar Needs to Know About Family Law," concentrating on Prenuptial Agreements (Top Ten Tips). ALEX LANE, ESQ. will present "Risks and Opportunities for Lawyers in the Changing Digital World," and DR. PAMELA WILLSON will update us on scientific developments related to incapacity. MARLENE APPEL, ESQ. and JEROME ELWELL, ESQ. will present their usual "New Cases/Recent Developments." RON LARSON, ESQ., MICHAEL TUCKER, ESQ. and LOU COMUS, ESQ. will focus on drafting and will sprinkle estate planning hot tips throughout the day. The afternoon segment on the many tests for incapacity is not to be missed (MARLENE APPEL, ESQ. , JEROME ELWELL, ESQ., MARK HOUSE, ESQ., DR. PAMELA WILLSON and the whole panel}.
Lunch is included.
• Recent Developments , Case Law and New Statutes in Probate, Trust, Guardianships/Conservatorships and Estate Planning
• Drafting to Avoid Problems (A potpourri on ethical and drafting matters)
• Drafting and Litigating Prenuptial Agreements (Top Ten Tips).
• View From the Bench
• How Many Tests for Incapacity Are There? Two? Five? Nine?
(Includes a scientific update by Dr. Willson and how to present your expert testimony by Ms. Appel)
• Up-to-Date Digital Security/Malpractice Avoidance Topics:
- What nuclear weapons can teach us about internet safety
- Phishing and spear phishing (How one spear may have changed the course of human history)
- Why lawyers and law firms are considered soft targets by hackers and why that's about to become a serious problem
- Why the next time you hear the phrase "off shore account" it will likely refer to an e-mail account instead of a bank account
- The top three things that you should do right now to keep yourself digitally safe
8:30 NETWORKING AND REGISTRATION
9:00 NEW CASES AND RECENT DEVELOPMENTS (Marlene Appel and Jerome Elwell)
10:30 Networking Break
10:45 ESTATE PLANNING AND DRAFTING: PRACTICAL TIPS, AN UPDATE, AND A PRIMER ON THE REVISED UNIFORM FIDUCIARY ACCESS TO DIGITAL
ASSETS ACT ("RUFADAA") (Michael Tucker, Ron Larson, Lou Comus and Alex Lane)
11:30 WHAT THE PROBATE BAR NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT FAMILY LAW, PART TWO (CONCENTRATING ON DRAFTING AND LITIGATING PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENTS; TOP TEN TIPS) (Jeff Pollitt)
12:00 Buffet Luncheon
12:40 VIEW FROM THE BENCH (The Hon. Jay Polk, The Hon. Kerstin LeMaire and The Hon.Andrew Russell)
1:45 RISKS AND OPPORTUNITIES FOR LAWYERS IN THE CHANGING DIGITAL
WORLD (Alex Lane)
2:15 HOW MANY TESTS FOR INCAPACITY ARE THERE? 2? 5? 9? (INCLUDES
A SCIENCE UPDATE BY DR.WILLSON AND HOW TO PRESENT YOUR EXPERT
TESTIMONY BY MS . APPEL) (Marlene Appel, Jerome Elwell, Mark House, Dr. Pamela Willson and the Whole Panel)
NOTE: A short break will be taken at about the midpoint.
Seminar materials will be provided in a PDF format for all attendees. If you would like a printed copy, you may purchase one for an additional $30. Printed copies must be purchased prior to May 3, 2017. Click on the Special Offers call out above to purchase.