This seminar will be a step by step analysis of representing a client through a criminal misdemeanor case through the Modest Means program of the State Bar of Arizona. Attendees will be provided an overview of the issues involved in most misdemeanor matters along with the accompanying rules and statutes.
This is an essential seminar for those new to the Modest Means program and criminal misdemeanor law.
· What is a misdemeanor/what is a felony/City Code Violation
· What types of cases are misdemeanors
· What are the maximum and minimum penalties
· Do I have to go to jail….what happens if my client is being arrested?
· Can my client get a public defender?
· What court will I need to appear in
· What Rules apply
· Who is the prosecutor
· What is the normal case flow….discovery, negotiation, trial, post adjudication
· Collateral issues: immigration, MVD, professional licensing, DV Consequences
· What types of cases to avoid:
o Complex DV
o DCS, Child Custody Cases
o Traffic cases with serious injury/death (28-672)
ABOUT THE MODEST MEANS PROJECT
The Modest Means Project provides low-cost legal assistance to people who cannot afford the expertise of attorneys at standard rates, but who do not qualify for free legal services due to income qualification or other restrictions. For more information about the program, and to volunteer, visit www.azbar.org/modestmeans.
Current Modest Means Project Volunteers: Contact Lara Slifko at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your coupon code for 50% off registration.
Legal Aid Attorneys: Please be our guest at the program live in Phoenix or in Tucson. Contact Lara Slifko at email@example.com for your coupon code. Advanced registration is required, coupon code is valid only for attendance in-person in Phoenix, or Tucson simulcast.
John Phebus, The Law Offices of John Phebus, PLC
Alexander Benezra, Alexander S. Benezra PLLC